Thursday, December 30, 2010

Referrals: Good business, or wasted money?

Referrals are a topic that seems to have a ton of different view points when it comes to Real Estate.

Every person will have a different view point on the subject.  I know we have that in our office alone.  Some agents say why refer a client away from you? Some say refer away and at least get a piece of the pie when you might not be able to get the whole thing.

Since I am the one writing the post I think I will give you my view point on the subject.  Referrals are a part of my business plan.  I LOVE referrals!  My view point is on the side of get a piece of the pie when you might not be able to get the whole thing. 

I have advertising online that hits areas I didn’t intent it to hit but people call me about properties outside my area of expertise or out of state!  What do you do with these people?  Blow them off? Let them fall through the cracks?  Heck no!  Refer them to agents who can serve them and will pay you for it! 

Personally I have a “coverage area” map that I have drawn up and have different “zones” based on travel time.  With in each zone I determine who I will serve within those zones based on sales price.  For instance I can drive over an hour away if the sales price of the home is worth the time and energy it will take to complete the sale.  If I don’t feel I can serve the customer properly I will refer the client to an agent I work with in that area.

I have agents set up all around my “coverage” area so that when a referral comes up I have them ready to go and serve my client properly. 

It is a win, win, win situation all around.

I save a valuable client spot and still get paid.  The agents I work with make money on the client, which helps their business, and ultimately the client gets the best possible service!

So if you don’t have a referral plan in place I suggest you start thinking about it and get one in place so that you know exactly what to do when those situations come up!

Best of luck to you and remember it is YOUR business don’t wait for others to make it go!

Jimmy Gilley
Cressy & Everett Real Estate
Niles, MI 49120
Mobile – 269-362-4841 (Primary)
JimmyGilley.com
jimmy.gilley@comcast.net

             

No comments:

Post a Comment